Thursday, March 15, 2012

First Days in Haiti

I am totally exhausted, but having so much fun. I arrived yesterday around 9:30 AM at the airport, where Meg was there to pick me up. Thankfully, both of my bags arrived on the same flight as me, so after getting my bags Meg, Olan, and I headed out to the car. Many men tried to take the bags from us to "help" us get to the car, but they would only want paid for it even though we were able to carry everything. The drive through Cap Haitien was crazy. People walk out into the middle of the street, cars pass on all sides, cars drive in the wrong side, people on motor cycles weave in and out of traffic. I sat in the back and ate the banana that Meg brought for me. The streets were bumpy when we got outside of the city, but then we arrived on the compound. Meg helped me to unpack and showed me around the house. We went for a bit of a walk, then I came back and took a nap. When I woke up we had lunch with Brooke, tomato sandwiches, apple, and fried plantain chips (which are delicious! I don't think I will be able to have another potato chip ever again!). In the evening we went to Bible study with the other missionaries then to Bud and Jan's for dinner.

Today was my first day in the classroom. It was just the first and second graders today. There are 12 students in the class, 3 girls and 9 boys. The boys are very rambunctious! The students came up to me all day asking questions about their work, which I helped them some, mostly with re-reading the directions, then I had to tell them to sit back down because if I didn't they would just want to stand next to me and work. The classroom is about half the size of a classroom in the states, but with almost all the same things, which was crazy to me! The students totally wore me out, but hopefully soon my novelty will wear off.

Next I am going to observe in Kate's English class with Meg, then dinner at the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment