Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday, Friday Gettin' Down on Friday

As most of you are well aware, today was Friday. In the education world, one of the best days of the week. By Friday everyone is exhausted, and by 2:00, everyone is looking at the clock and counting down the minutes. Today was no exception. Today the Kindergarten class was there of 7 students, for a total of 19 students in the classroom, me, Kate, and another classroom aid who is there to help the days the Kindergartner's are there. The aid corrects the student's workbooks while Kate teaches the three separate groups. The students also have tests on Friday, so Kate would typically be doing very different things all by herself with three different grade levels. But today I was able to help give spelling tests, watch the Kindergartners, and answer questions. I also read the after class story which gives Kate some more downtime to record grades or rest.

Yesterday, at Kate's class, Meg and I ended talking to a few of the men in the class afterwards. They were very interested in American culture and just hearing us talk. During that class time, Meg got most of the questions. Today we both went again, and I got most of the questions. They asked many questions about what I think about Haiti since it is my first time, if I have had the food, how the weather is back in Erie, and they were interested in how loans work. They were definitely questions that we were not expecting.

After going to the English class, Meg and I went over to Dr. Rodney's house, who is the father of one of my students. He was so excited to see me in his house. So Meg and I turned off his TV on him and his brother and made Roud get a book to read to us. Now imagine going into an American child's home, turning off their TV and making them get a book, this probably wouldn't go over too well. But Roud and Oulie (I think that's how it is spelled) were more than happy to read/listen to a story. Sweet Oulie fell asleep on me during Roud's story. Soon VaDam and Alesha came home, then Dr. Rodney. VaDam helped Meg and I with some Creole and I helped Roud with his homework while Alesha ran around playing with Meg's keys. It was great fun and so adorable to hear Roud today at school excitedly telling everyone how I came over to his house last night, he even wanted me to come over again tonight. I didn't though, because Meg is not feeling well and I am still very tired from traveling.

Tomorrow the plan is to get to sleep in a bit, and go travel to some other towns.

Bug Bite Count: 9
**Meg's friend Ketlye told me that my blood is sweet, and that they like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment