Friday, December 30, 2011

What are you getting Jesus for Christmas?

the Avett Brothers is playing in the background as I recall this question.

while at a Christmas party, I was chatting with the mother of one of my girls, also a dear friend. she asked me this question. i was quite taken aback, not so much with the question, but because I was unsure of my answer. she said that it was my trip, but I guess i still wasn't happy with that answer. since my trip is for school, it's not completely altruistic. God has definitely called me to Haiti, but my reasons for going there for such an extended length of time are to get school credits. I will be earning something tangible, or pseudo-tangible. my transcript will reflect that I will have earned credits while in Haiti.

so my answer was that I will be helping support friends on their mission trips.

but really, what do you give Jesus that you shouldn't already be giving him? we are called to offer our lives as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1). can we give anymore than that? probably [definitely] yes.

my mission is to give Jesus something more. and not just something more on His "birthday" something more everyday, because He gave His life for me. it's the least I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment