Monday, December 5, 2011

From the beginning...

Many people have asked me in the past few months how this whole thing started; the answer isn't "Recently!" the answer is "when was this whole thing not in motion?" Let me explain...

Compared to my peers, I've always been one step ahead. In fourth grade, I learned about this high school called Collegiate Academy, from that moment on I knew I was going to go there. This is nothing and everything to do with my trip. Since I was young, I've KNOWN in the bottom of my heart what the next step is for me. It started with my high school, then it was my major, then I slacked and made one of the most wonderful decisions of my life: to go to Mercyhurst College. The first semester of my Senior year is a blur. There was a nasty break up, then applying to colleges. I had no idea where I wanted to go, which was strange for me. I mean, come on, I knew in 4th grade where I was going to go to high school. I applied to seven schools: Gannon University, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Penn State the Behrend College, Edinboro University, Thiel College, Allegheny University, and Mercyhurst College. Growing up, never in a million years did I ever imagine myself going to Mercyhurst. It's right around the corner from my house, you go away for college blah blah blah. The more I thought about, the more my heart was drawn to this school. I ended up attending an accepted majors day at the college, and I was set. Early/Special Education Duel Major. Deposit. Books. Go.

Weeks before school started, Kate was in town. I had sent her a graduation announcement, so she asked me where I was going and for what, then it happened. She invited me to come to Haiti and teach with her. Little did she know that going to Haiti was something I had desired to do since I started high school. But high schoolers don't go to Haiti, so I didn't. I would when I was in college with the church I figured. I had plans of going with the church, which happened to fall during my Spring Break. Then something happened, Haiti experienced an earthquake. I remember the day vividly, I was at the gym with a friend, she slapped me on the shoulder and frantically pointed at the television above us. Ruins. That was all that was on the screen. My plans were smashed. God was telling me "wait."

The churches trip was cancelled, so I had nothing to do but wait. At the end of the year, I had advising. My plans were simple: duel major and start a Masters in Applied Behavior Analysis while working on my undergrad (remember, I'm ambitious).  I went over classes with Dr. Roberts. She asked if I had anything else, and I said "Yes" and I told her about Kate's offer. Then my plans for college fell apart, or together, however I choose to look at it. My intentions were to simply see about going for two weeks with the church, and getting a credit or so, considering I would be working in the classroom the whole time I was there anyways. But Dr. Roberts, and God, had something else planned. PIPing. Pre-Teaching Internship. Being an almost teacher. In Haiti. Dr. Roberts got Kate's contact information from me. When Kate was in town that summer, they met.

Upon returning to school, I met with Dr. Roberts. We talked, and decided that if I was going to do this, I should do it now. Spring 2012. This school year. Plans started, meetings with Dr. Roberts bi-weekly to catch up. Preliminary Study Abroad Applications, checking on my financial aid, length of the trip? Classes? Money. Passport Applications.

Financially, I have everything covered, given that my mother's parents have passed and I have access to some money, enough that I can comfortably complete any plans for college without taking private loans. Classes? I'll be ahead. Taking classes online, and teaching adults English in the afternoons will keep me on track, a head even, of my peers. An appointment with a travel doctor is planned.

I truly believe that God has blessed me with this opportunity to serve in the country that my heart lies. There is no other explanation for how smoothly these things have progressed. I do not think I am able to thank God enough for this opportunity. Seriously, how many people get to go to a fourth world country for college credits?

I am set to leave March 13th, and return to the States on April 30th (Happy 38th Birthday Momma!)

Reader: thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts and the story, please feel no obligation to support my trip financially because I will deny your offer. Instead I would ask that you donate to Kate, or provide school supplies for Cowman International School (crayons, pencils, glue sticks, construction paper). Please join me in praying for Kate and the students, along with the rest of the paperwork for myself. I still need to get my passport, make new skirts to take, and finish this term!

3 comments:

  1. Yea! So excited to follow your journey and I love your blog title. I went to Haiti in 1969--summer before my senior year of high school and it's not an overstatement to say it changed my life. It will change yours, too. Prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo proud of you! I have Seen Katie (and her mother) over her high school years talk about going to Haiti and the anxieties with it. i have been to Haiti 2 times and I told her and her mother that I would love to be there when Katie goes. Unfortunately this is not the case but I cant wait to see God work in Katie and how HE will use her in Haiti and back in the States as well!.
    P.S. I was the friend at the gym ;) I was heart broken seeing a country I love suffer even more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and am so proud of you! I can't wait to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete