Saturday, January 19, 2013

Money: the Break Down.

As a Christian, I whole heartedly believe that the money that I have is not mine. It was "loaned" to me by God for me to be able to live and follow His callings.

Because of this, I believe that when I give money to someone or an organization I like to be informed about how that money is going to be used. (This applies to donations to people, charitable organizations, and companies that promise to use money charitably: TOMS, Warby Parker, BeadforLife, etc)

So, with that belief in mind, I have decided to carefully explain how all the money that has been donated to me, and will be donated to me, will be used.

The total cost of the trip is $1,150. The payment dates are 50% by January 29th and 50% by February 19th.
This amount is broken down into the following components...

Airfare: $625
Room, board, and transportation in Haiti: $210, or $30 per day
Overnight lodging in Pittsburgh: $40
Traveler's Insurance: $25
Miscellaneous costs: $250

In addition to these travel costs, I will also need to pay for my Chloroquin prescription and a round of Cipro to take in case of Haitian Happiness (my favorite!). I am ESTIMATING these to cost between $50 and $100.

Additionally I wish to take down $100 worth of school supplies.

So far a total of $550 has been raised towards my trip.

This money has been set aside as follows:

$100 Deposit
$250 towards Airfare
$100 towards prescriptions
$100 towards school supplies.

This still leaves me about $800 left to be raised. 

This number does cause me anxiety at times, but as I was driving to the gym this morning and talking with God about my anxiety He reminded me of the time when Joshua was told to walk around Jericho and Joshua had no clue how things were going to turn out. Or when Jesus tells us not to worry about what we will eat or drink or wear because God takes care of the sparrows and we are worth more than many sparrows.

If you would like to contribute to my trip, please use the ChipIn box to left (or click the link) to donate securely through your credit card or PayPal account. Or you can send a check to

Church of the Cross
5901 Millfair Road
Erie, PA 16415

If you decide to send a check, you must include my name on the Memo line (Katie Jobczynski) and a note that indicates that it is for my Haiti trip. By sending a check you will receive a tax deductible for giving to a Non-Profit Organization.

I am going to end this with of my recently favorite verses from Habakkuk. This verse is taken from the context of the prophet Habakkuk crying out to the Lord for deliverance from the miseries of injustice all around in the land of Israel, the Lord replies to Habakkuk's cries...

"Look at the nations and watch --
and be utterly amazed.
For I am going to do something in your days
that you would not believe
even if you were told."
 -- Habakkuk 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment